Did You Know?
- The first grade school was built in 1862 at the corner of Church and N. Center Streets. A second school was built at 408 W. Beloit Street and was eventually torn down to build a new school, which is the current Parkview Junior & Senior High School.
- The first high school was built in 1915. Prior to the high school, students were sent to neighboring communities to receive their high school education. The first graduation held in 1921, with seven students graduating.
- There was an ordinance in 1900 that said "No person shall disturb the peace or good order of the said village by any hooting or yelling or by making any unnecessary noise or disturbance." If you were caught violating the above, you would be issued a penalty of not more than $10.00, nor less than $1.00.
- There was an ordinance in 1900 that said "Any boy between the ages of six and sixteen years who shall jump or climb upon any railroad car, locomotive, or other part of the train, except by the permission of the conductor of such train or the person in charge of said car or locomotive shall be deemed guilty, and in violation of this ordinance." If you were caught violating the above, you would be issued a penalty of not more than $10.00, nor less than $1.00.
- The Village of Orfordville was once considered a dry town. An election was held to determine if liquor could be sold in Orfordville. The residents agreed to allow whiskey in town, but no malt beverages. The reason, the women had to come to town to purchase their goods, and were being harassed by the drunkards. In 1904, the saloons opened at 6:00 a.m. and closed at 8:00 p.m. In 1941, the saloons opened at 8:00 a.m. and closed at 9:00 p.m. Saloons were also forbidden to be open on Sundays and election days.
- Electrical service was installed in the village in 1914. Electric generation was limited to twelve hours per day, except for Tuesdays when the plant was operated in the morning so as to enable housewives to do their ironing until noon.
- The original fire station was located at 203 W. Beloit Street, the former Orfordville Public Library. The fire department moved to their second location at 106 N. Center Street, which now houses the Orfordville Village Hall. The third and current location is 173 N. Wright Street.
- Before the turn of the 20th Century, a tight rope exhibition was held in the village. Al Ringling, and blacksmith, tied a rope from what was known as the "Old Sater Blacksmith Shop" to a chimney across the street. The chimney fell down in the attempt to cross the tightrope. Mr. Ringling did not have the money needed to repair the chimney, so the spectators had to take up a collection to repair the damage.
- In 1900, each evening the fire department would ring the fire bell for eight taps to remind those under fifteen of the curfew ordinance. Those fifteen and younger had to be home by 8:00 p.m. (from March 1st to September 30), and 7:30 p.m. (from October 1st to the end of February).